Yin Yoga Teacher Training: Foundations Module with Josh Summers
January 27-30, 2018
Yin Yoga is a complementary yoga practice to the more dynamic and invigorating yoga styles that are predominant today. In Yin Yoga, floor postures are held passively for several minutes in order to access a safe and positive ‘stress’ on the deep layers of connective tissue in the body. Physically, Yin Yoga restores and maintains the natural mobility of the joints, primarily between the navel and the knees. Energetically, Yin Yoga opens the body’s meridian system, which enhances the body’s energetic flow and supports emotional equilibrium. And as this practice emphasizes stillness and silence, Yin Yoga prepares both the body and the mind for deeper experiences in meditation.
The 50 Hour Yin Yoga Foundations Module is a comprehensive training developed for serious students and teachers interested in learning the core physical aspects of the practice of Yin Yoga.
The training includes:
• Core principles of Yin Yoga; how to cue postures and educate students safely.
• Practice the core Yin asanas: backbends, forward bends, lunges, external hip openers, twists, upper body postures.
• Explore the difference between Aesthetic Alignment and Functional Alignment; how bone variation affects range of motion and alignment considerations.
• Study the anatomy and biomechanics of the spine, pelvis, thigh and knee.
• Principles of tension and compression in asana.
• Learn five essential Yin sequences, with relevant modifications and adjustments.
• Principles of sequencing; target areas and counterposes.
• Investigate the histological structure and function of connective tissue.
• Understand the positive physiological effects of Yin Yoga on the fascia, connective tissue and joint health.
• The Training is suitable for those both interested in teaching Yin Yoga or for those who simply wish to deepen their understanding of the practice.
You will receive:
• Online preparatory course (see below)
• 4-day live intensive training module
• In-depth teaching manual
Online course: The Body Sublime: Functional Elements of Yin Yoga
One of the unique features of the Summers School of Yin Yoga is that each of the core Training Modules has an online course component. The online course will prepare you to arrive at the live training with a solid foundation of the theory and practice covered in each module, allowing us to start at a higher level in our time together in the intensive.
Upon registration, you’ll receive a link that grants you 90-day free access to the online course (a $125 value).
Please note: You will need to complete the online course, including a short quiz, before attending the live teacher training module. Estimated time to complete the online course: 5-7hrs.
4-Day Live Intensive Training Module
Saturday, January 27, 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Sunday, January 28, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Monday, January 29, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Tuesday, January 30, 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Your Body, Your Yoga, Bernie Clark (You don’t have to read the required text before the training.)
The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga, Bernie Clark
Early-bird offer: $640 (save $150, available until 1/5)
Regular fee: $790
The Arlington Center, 369 Mass Ave, Arlington, MA
Students will receive a certificate of training which is eligible for Continuing Education Credit (50hrs) with the Yoga Alliance. This Foundations Module is a core module of the Advanced Yin Yoga Studies 300-hour program through Summers School of Yin Yoga, and can be applied towards a student earning their 300 hour certification within this school.
Josh Summers, E-RYT 500, YACEP, Lic. Ac. Josh Summers is a Yin Yoga teacher, a licensed acupuncturist, and a meditation instructor.
Josh began studying Iyengar yoga in the early nineties with James Murphy in New York City. Since then, he has spent several years living abroad in India, Taiwan and Burma where he has studied both yoga and meditation. As his interest in vipassana or insight meditation developed so too did his interest in more contemplative forms of yoga practice.
With a professional background in Oriental Medicine and a personal passion for the dharma, Josh fell in love with Yin Yoga as a beautiful synthesis of the two. He now teaches workshops and trainings throughout the United States and Europe, and co-teaches a course on Mindfulness and Performance at Boston University. For more information, please visit Josh at: www.joshsummers.net